Monday, August 20, 2007

God Is Not Great - My Thoughts

I just finished reading "God Is Not Great" by Christopher Hitchens. I cannot testify to the accuracy of his historical points, but I didn't find much to disagree with in terms of his overall evaluation of organized religion. Hitchens makes many valid points in regard to how religion has had a detrimental effect on society. While I appreciated his overall critique of religion, I could have done without his emotionally-charged sarcasm and moral judgment. In my humble opinion, a critique of this nature would've been better delivered without any specific editorial on the part of the author.

Fortunately, I don't take offense to opinions that are generally critical of whatever faith I align myself with. However, I recognize that many do. Because of this, I suspect a great number of people will quickly gloss over the book's general message and focus on those points they feel qualified to argue with. His antagonistic writing style basically offers those who would disagree with him a magnificently large target to aim at. In the book, he often punctuates important facts and ideas with name-calling, snarkiness, and self-righteous moral outrage.

What a shame.

He could have made his case against religion in a sober, thoughtful manner without any of the antagonistic editorial. If he could've exercised a bit more maturity, he may have given the book some kind of chance to spark critical evaluation in the minds of many religious people. Instead, he basically marches right up to the church steps and calls the congregation out for a good ol' street fight.

Great...

You might think that someone so versed in the world's religions would recognize that many of the faiths he criticizes love nothing more than a good fight. It's like tossing a thick juicy steak to a den of starving hyenas. Clearly, he has no intention of facilitating an actual dialog with those who might actually change their minds based on the perspective he offers. Indeed, his book appears to be written for those who are already leaning towards his particular views. For all the time and effort that must have gone into that book, it seems a waste to craft it in such a way to ensure the message comes secondary to the messenger.

And, yes. Christopher Hitchens has managed to get everyone talking about... him. I've done a bit of Googling to see what is being said about "God Is Not Great". Many of the reviews I've read appear to be focused on the author, the tone of his writing, and the veracity of his facts. The book is predictably causing a scandal all over the place. I've read at least three blogs this morning by folks who refuse to read the book, but are happy to condemn Hitchens and anyone else he might be associated with.

It saddens me. I really wish someone would come forward to cast a bright light on religion's dark side in a calm, mature fashion. Take the discussion out of the relentlessly defensive ego and place it in the realm of cool, objective critical thought.

Overall, I agree that religion has a tendency to poison everything it touches. I believe this is the result of forcing an ever-changing reality to conform to a rigid dogma. The natural world is the very epitome of change. It would seem to me that any system of belief (be it scientific, religious or otherwise) must be dynamic enough to change.

If an idea seeks to inhibit the persistence of life, then it either fails miserably or manages to extinguish the life it seeks to enrich.

No comments: